Early bird bookings are open and end 30 September at 11:59pm.
The 28th annual conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs is hosted by the University of Canberra’s Centre for Creative and Cultural Research.
When: Wednesday 29 November to Friday 1 December 2023.
The event will be held on Ngunnawal Country; we acknowledge with gratitude that we have been welcomed to walk on this unceded land, and pay our respects to their elders, past and present, and emerging.
Theme: We need to talk.
We invite proposals for conference papers, panels, or performances that focus on issues that demand personal, social and institutional attention; and we are very interested in proposals that are collaborative, dialogic, improvisational, and/or performative.
Please consider the following list of starter-topic areas as you construct your abstract/proposal:
Orality – e.g.
- Spoken word forms
- Writing/improvising for performance
- Song / chant
- Audio and transdisciplinary storytelling modes
- Yarning Circles
Poetry – e.g.
- Performance poetry
- Transformative practice
- Collaborative work
- Poetry of resistance
Essay – e.g.
- Lyrical or dialogic essay
- Writing as conversation, or collaboration
- Reading as intimacy
- Manifesto / diatribe / rant
Sustainability – e.g.
- The environment and living in the more-than-human world
- Traditional ways of knowing, being and storying
- Economic and political engagement in writing/by writers
- Object writing
- Alternate knowledge systems
Queering Writing – e.g.
- Decentred and diverse voices
- Indigenous stories
- Neglected art forms
- Queering forms
- AI / Chat GPT – implications, limitations, possibilities
Arts/Health – e.g.
- Writing, reading, and wellbeing
- Transdisciplinary practice for health
- Creative interventions and trauma
- Working beyond the academy (outreach, communicating research)
- Silences in academia
- Care for the author
(or other topics, though we do ask that you aim to accommodate the theme of the conference in your work)
Abstract submissions have closed.
Queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: while everyone is welcome to attend the conference, only current AAWP members are eligible to present. You can find membership details, prices, and online sign-up options here.