- Current members are eligible to present at the annual conference, and consequently to have their papers considered for inclusion in the annual Special Issue of TEXT emerging from the conference. HDR & early ECR members who present are eligible for mentoring and inclusion in the associated peer-reviewed publication, exposing their work to a global audience of writers and researchers;
- Current members can apply for book launch slots at the annual conference, targeting the perfect niche market for both creative and scholarly titles;
- Post-graduate members can attend the Professionalism Workshop Series, run cyclically at each conference. Themes include: Preparing for Examination; Managing Sessional Work; Publishing Your Work; Managing the Supervisory Relationship. The program is designed to span the length of candidature;
- Exclusive to AAWP members is the ‘Chapter One’ prize. It includes a $500 cash prize, together with fully-subsidised conference fees for that year, an invitation to read from the winning manuscript, and a letter of appraisal from an established writer within the AAWP. This appraisal is presented to the University of Western Australia Publishing (UWAP), together with the winner’s full manuscript (in any genre – prose, poetry, short-fiction and so on), for priority assessment.
- Membership signals a commitment to and involvement with the peak body in your field, sending a clear message of professionalism to employers, managers, supervisors and the student body;
- Current Members are welcome to contribute to AAWP’s Executive Committee of Management. For Postgraduates and Early Career Researchers, this pathway constitutes a valuable supplement to a growing CV and toolkit of expertise. AAWP encourages interested parties to contact a current member of the executive. We warmly encourage freshly interested parties to join our team via the pathway of co-opting for 12-24 months. As a co-opted member of the Executive Committee of Management you will be mentored. You will have the opportunity to contribute to a portfolio and otherwise familiarise yourself with AAWP operations and governance, before taking on an official role. Anyone with enthusiasm and a willingness to contribute is warmly encouraged to get involved.
- Membership and conference involvement are almost always accompanied by networking opportunities that are inspiring, supportive and career-friendly.
- Members join a community of potential collaborators, creative peers and scholarly and professional mentors.
Various levels of membership are available, with rates kept as low as possible for student members.
Concession Membership (1 Year) $40.00 Join now
Concession Membership (3 Years) $110.00 Join now
Individual (salaried) Membership (1 Year) $115.00 Join now
Individual (salaried) Membership (3 Years) $315.00 Join now
For HDR programs with numerous students and staff seeking group membership benefits, see our Institutional Memberships option:
Institutional Memberships are a way for schools to support their writing programs as a whole — providing membership benefits in various combinations to suit a mix of HDR students/Post-Docs/Staff. It is a dedicated way to support students in early career presenting and publishing and to strengthen the HDR community as a whole. At the same time, an Institutional Membership will facilitate networking and publication opportunities for on-going staff, and can be a pathway for supporting the professional development of sessional staff and recent post-docs.
Institutional Memberships are available for 1 or 3 years duration and fees cover the following:
10 Postgraduate Students / Sessional Staff
Two Salaried Staff + 5 Postgraduate Students / Sessional Staff
One Salaried Staff + 7 Postgraduate Students / Sessional Staff
Institutional Membership (1 Year) $300.00 Join now
Institutional Membership (3 Years) $790.00 Join now
For those living outside of Australia, see our International Affiliate Membership option.
International Affiliate Membership
The International Affiliate Membership option caters for international colleagues who may, only rarely, be able to attend our annual conference, but would otherwise like to be part of our engagement activities: Special Issues, Prizes and Partnerships, as well as other outreach activities.
International Affiliate Membership (1 Year) $40.00 Join now